Baja - Sea Kayaking and Whale Watching
This trip offers the absolute best of two seas! We spend 4 days of sea kayaking and snorkeling in the shimmering, turquoise Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California), and will camp out on Espiritu Santo Island. We then have a mid-week pause to relax and explore the enchanting seaside town of La Paz, with its beautiful waterfront promenade and sensational dining.
Next, we travel to the tranquil lagoons in Magdalena Bay on the Pacific coast of the Baja California Peninsula. Here we are hotel-based and embark on 2 days of whale-watching expeditions by motorboat.
Every year the gray whale makes its annual migration from the Chirikof Basin (in the northern Bering Sea) to Magdalena Bay - a round trip of some 12,400 miles (the longest migration by any mammal). During the grays' winter visit, they calve and nurse in the shallow lagoons. These amazing gray-whale nursing grounds are protected by strict Mexican environmental and ecological legislation. We are careful to observe these regulations by working exclusively with licensed cooperatives that have trained boat drivers. This, in turn, helps support local fishing families.
The trip combines 4 days of paddling and 3 nights of camping, with 2 days of whale watching. This trip is suitable for paddlers of any skill level.
"An unbelievable experience. I cannot explain in words, how wonderful this trip was." Bill, USA
Please stay tuned for 2021 dates, coming soon!
4 days of kayaking, 3 nights of camping, 2 days of whale watching, 4 nights in a hotel, and 1 night in a rustic cabin
• double occupancy (most, but not all, La Paz hotels include breakfast)
Bilingual Naturalist Guides 6:1 ratio
• all meals from Day 1- Day 8 (except dinner on Day 4, and lunch and dinner on Day 5)
• farewell dinner at a restaurant in La Paz on Sunday evening (Day 8)
Kayak Expedition Supplies
• single or tandem sea kayaks, paddles, PFDs, etc.
• kitchen equipment, sun shelter, dishes, utensils, etc.
• excellent meals, safe fresh drinking water, snacks
• cocktails, wine with dinner
• first aid and repair kits
• emergency, communication, and safety equipment
• dry bags, etc. for group equipment and food
• water bags
• a shared tent, a sleeping pad, and a dry bag may be reserved without charge
• full-time motorboat (Panga) support
• transportation of group gear, camping equipment, and food between campsites
• option to ride in the Panga
• complete catering service: meal preparation and clean-up, extra menu items, extra group camping gear and amenities, etc.
• round-trip ground transfer between your hotel and the boat docks for the kayak expedition
• round-trip, high-speed boat transfer between La Paz and Isla Espiritu Santo
• round-trip ground transfer between La Paz and Pacific lagoons for whale watching
Trip Rendezvous Point: La Paz, Mexico