In the constellation of superb Yukon wild rivers, the Hart is among the finest. From sinuous and slow-moving channels to frothy whitewater, the Hart is a river of infinite variety.
The upper Hart River runs through a broad, forested valley edged by craggy mountains. Alpine ridges often reach the river’s bank, which allows hiking opportunities. The Taiga Ranges section of the river provides some of the most stunning scenery. With beautiful canyons and cliff bands, the mountains plunge to the river’s edge.
The river travel consists of swifts, braided sections, boulder gardens, and ledges ... a great variety for the keen paddler. At the end of the Hart River, we enter the Peel River Valley. We'll paddle approximately 20 km to the junction at Canyon Creek. This short section contains some of the trickier whitewater of the trip. As the river cascades over a number of ledges and offers a few Class 2 to 3 rapids, it makes an exciting finish to the expedition!
The Hart River trip is a good choice for those with basic to intermediate whitewater skills, canoe camping experience, and reasonable fitness levels. You should be comfortable with a variety of paddling conditions and prepared to occasionally walk or line your canoe in shallower sections. More experienced paddlers will find the Hart a great wilderness holiday in a beautiful alpine setting.
"An amazing wilderness river! Another north Yukon gem ...", Colin, B.C.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
July 01, 2017 to July 14, 2017
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 12 nights camping
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 2 lunch to Day 14 lunch
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• ground transfer between Whitehorse and Mayo on Day 2 and Day 14
• charter float plane flight from Mayo to start of the trip at Elliot Lake - Day 2
• charter float plane flight from the take-out on Canyon Creek to Mayo - Day 14
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Whitehorse