Lower Magnetawan River
Ontario’s Magnetawan River drains the western side of Algonquin Park into Georgian Bay. The "Mag" is a less-well-known whitewater river for paddlers as the water levels are suitable for canoeists for only part of the year - but, when the water is right, this is a great run.
Our Black Feather trip "puts in" at Wahwashkesh Lake. Our four-day route takes us west - towards Georgian Bay. The river drops over 65 metres in a series of rocky rapids. These range from easy Class 1 rapids to a few "heart-in-your-mouth" Class 3 runs. In between there are swifts, a few narrow lakes, and several short portages.
The focus of the trip is on improving your whitewater skills in these technical rapids. The guides will help with your technique, maneuvers, and river-reading skills. You'll become more confident with experience and coaching as we paddle Canal Rapids, Three Snye Rapids, and Thirty Dollar Rapids. At night we'll prepare great meals around the campfire and re-tell stories of the day’s adventures. Finally, on the last afternoon, we'll float under the Highway 69 bridge and take out at the River Haven Resort where your cars will be waiting.
This is a great trip for intermediate and advanced whitewater canoeists. Note: This trip can be combined with the Upper Magnetawan River trip, which allows you to paddle the entire 7-day route. There is $100 discount for those registered on both trips.
"The best parts were the food and the whitewater instruction ... I improved my skills yet again!" Cathy, Ontario, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
May 22, 2017 to May 26, 2017
Guides 5:1 ratio
• excellent meals from Day 1 Dinner to Day 5 lunch
• 17’ Prospector expedition canoes
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• transportation of guides, group gear, canoes, etc. to and from trip
• van shuttle to the beginning of the trip