*NEW* Churchill River
*NEW IN 2021*
The Churchill River is uniquely a series of lakes joined by rapids or falls. Flowing over the Precambrian Shield, it passes through a forested landscape of rock outcroppings and muskeg. The rapids are generally short and ledge-like in nature. The more difficult rapids can be easily navigated.
Photographic opportunities abound along the entire length of the trip. Look for bald eagles and white pelicans fishing below rapids, moose wading in the shallows, black bears wandering along the shore and enjoy evening concerts by common loons. You will also see ancient rock paintings of the first inhabitants of the Churchill area. The Saskatchewan portion of the Churchill River still flows free and clean. Surprisingly, by August, the Churchill River's water temperature reaches about 18 degrees celsius, so swimming is usually a pleasure!
This trip is great for those with some basic whitewater experience. A warm up paddling session at one of our springtime clinics is highly recommended. If you're looking for something a little more advanced, check out our Bloodvein River or our Seal River trips!
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 8 nights camping, 2 nights in Missinipe (double occupancy)
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 2 lunch to Day 11 lunch
• breakfasts & dinner while in Missinipe
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• ground transfer between La Ronge and Missinipe on Day 1 and Day 12
• charter float plane flight from Missinipe to start of the trip at Sandfly Lake - Day 2
• ground transfer from Otter Rapids to Missinipe - Day 11
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to La Ronge
Trip Rendezvous Point: La Ronge, SK