Nipika Paddle & Hike for Families
The Kootenay is a mountainous river run starting in Kootenay National Park, near the continental divide. Nipika Mountain Resort is nestled in this wilderness, with the Kootenay River flowing past. Our "Paddle and Hike" adventure includes 5 nights at Nipika, with day-hikes up Aurora Creek to view Mount Assiniboine, and around the Kindersley Pass. You will want to be in reasonable physical shape for the hikes as there can be considerable elevation change; but, we will adjust the routes and pace to suit the group.
We will also enjoy 2 day-trips paddling the Kootenay River, and will pass many fascinating features: the Cross River natural bridge, tufa deposits, and wind-and-water-sculpted hoodoos. The river flows swiftly, with Class 1 and 2 rapids interspersed. Any adventurous person can enjoy this trip. In our stable and forgiving SOAR canoes, the rapids are accessible for most paddlers. Experienced canoeists will still appreciate the constant current, numerous rapids and exceptional scenery.
Our base is Nipika Mountain Resort - a lovely eco-lodge on the shore of the river. We'll return to Nipika each afternoon for a sauna or soak in the hot tub, followed by an excellent group dinner.
For this week of family fun, there is a discounted price for children.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
July 10, 2016 to July 15, 2016
|$ 1,496.00 CAD|
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 5 nights at Nipika Mountain Resort in a "family-style" log cabin or at the main lodge - mostly double occupancy
• group-prepared meals at Nipika Mountain Resort - Day 1 dinner to Day 6 breakfast
• excellent trail lunches and snacks on day trips (Days 2 to 5)
• wine with dinners
• high-quality, SOAR, 2-person inflatable canoes
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• shuttles between Nipika and the river on Day 3 and Day 4
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to and from the expedition