Scoresbysund is the ultimate Arctic kayak destination. Here you'll discover the world’s largest and longest fjord system, gigantic icebergs, towering mountains rising straight from the sea, alpine glaciers, and the vast ice sheet that covers most of Greenland. The paddling is magical as you thread through floating ice sculptures - blue, white, turquoise, and transparent. In addition to the astonishing scenery, you may see muskoxen, Arctic foxes, narwhal, seals, and polar bears. Birders will add to their life lists - perhaps auks or a barnacle goose.
The trip also offers a fascinating introduction to the local Greenlandic Inuit people and culture. The village of Scoresbysund (now called Ittoqqortoormiit) - our jumping-off point - is the most northerly community on the east coast of Greenland. This kayaking location is so remote and difficult to access that it is a rarely-paddled route. The expedition is a unique wilderness adventure that only a few paddlers will ever experience.
The Scoresbysund trip is suitable for those with previous sea kayaking and wilderness camping experience. Advanced skills are not required, but even the most-experienced paddlers will be moved by the ethereal beauty, wildlife, and enjoyable paddling. The isolation, cold water and ice, and 12 days of wilderness camping make the trip unsuitable for the complete novice.
"I have paddled in many places around the world and this was the best." John, Georgia, USA
2021 Dates to be announced in April, stay tuned!
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 12 nights of camping, 2 nights in Ittoqqortoomiit Guesthouse
• excellent meals and snacks from Day 1 dinner to Day 14 lunch, and dinner with a local family on the last night
• sea kayaks with rudders, paddles, spray decks, etc.
• PFDs (you may bring your own)
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• dry bags and containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, kayak rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• flights between Reykjavik and Ittoqqortoormiit - Day 1 and Day 15
• motor boat transfers between Ittoqqortoormiit and the kayaking expedition - Days 2 and 14
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Ittoqqortoormiit
Trip Rendezvous Point: Reykjavik, Iceland