Canoe Tripping Clinic
Black Feather’s “Canoe Tripping” clinic is designed to prepare paddlers with some previous experience for a significant expedition on a northern river such as the Nahanni, Snake or Coppermine Rivers, to name just a few! The focus of this weekend is on whitewater maneuvers, safety techniques and river rescues, gear selection, outfitting, and rigging for wilderness river trips. You will learn how to work as an organized team – scouting, descending, and supporting each other in significant rapids.
Since 1972, Black Feather has introduced thousands of paddlers to the fun and excitement of whitewater canoe-tripping. We primarily teach a style of paddling designed to let you safely descend rapids in a loaded, tandem, tripping canoe. You will receive professional instruction in a relaxed and enjoyable setting at the Madawaska Kanu Centre (MKC). Situated right on the river, MKC has been Canada’s premier school for whitewater kayaking over 40 years.
Exceptional meals will be provided by MKC as well as dormitory-style accommodation. After the clinic you’ll be ready to head out on your own or try one of our more-challenging river expeditions. The canoe-tripping clinic is offered jointly by Black Feather and our friends at MKC.
NEW ADD-ON In 2021, you will be able to add a one-day descent of the Lower Madawaska River to your weekend course. This is an excellent addition for those using this clinic as training for an extended paddling trip in the future.
"The instructors were so enthusiastic about the sport. Very friendly and always positive. The instruction and coaching exceeded my expectations." Natalie, Ontario, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
May 29-30 Clinic
Instructors 5:1 ratio
• all meals and snacks from Day 1 breakfast to Day 2 lunch
• 17’ Prospector expedition canoes
• paddles, paddling helmets, PFDs (you may bring your own)
• throw lines and other safety accessories
• first aid and repair kits
• canoe rescue gear
• transportation of guides, group gear, canoes, etc. to and from clinic
• road transport from MKC to any put-in or take-out points required during the clinic
• lounge, showers, washrooms, campsites
May 29-31 Clinic In addition to the above, you will also get:
• all meals, instructors, equipment and instruction for an extra day (excluding Monday dinner)
• additional road transport from Lower Madawaska back to MKC after your day trip
• one extra night of lodge accommodation and facility use at MKC
Trip Rendezvous Point: Barry's Bay, ON