Canoe Tripping Clinic
Black Feather’s “Canoe Tripping” clinic is designed to prepare paddlers with some previous experience for a significant expedition on a northern river such as the Nahanni, Snake or Coppermine Rivers, to name just a few! The focus of this weekend is on whitewater maneuvers, safety techniques and river rescues, gear selection, outfitting, and rigging for wilderness river trips. You will learn how to work as an organized team – scouting, descending, and supporting each other in significant rapids.
Since 1972, Black Feather has introduced thousands of paddlers to the fun and excitement of whitewater canoe-tripping. We primarily teach a style of paddling designed to let you safely descend rapids in a loaded, tandem, tripping canoe. You will receive professional instruction in a relaxed and enjoyable setting at the Madawaska Kanu Centre (MKC). Situated right on the river, MKC has been Canada’s premier school for whitewater kayaking over 40 years.
Exceptional meals will be provided by MKC. Dormitory-style accommodation is also included, or you may upgrade to a private room for a modest cost. After the clinic you’ll be ready to head out on your own or try one of our more-challenging river expeditions. The canoe-tripping clinic is offered jointly by Black Feather and our friends at MKC.
"The instructors were so enthusiastic about the sport. Very friendly and always positive. The instruction and coaching exceeded my expectations." Natalie, Ontario, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Instructors 5:1 ratio
• excellent meals from Day 2 breakfast to Day 3 lunch
• 17’ Prospector expedition canoes
• paddles, paddling helmets, PFDs (you may bring your own)
• throw lines and other safety accessories
• first aid and repair kits
• canoe rescue gear
• transportation of guides, group gear, canoes, etc. to and from clinic
• road transport from MKC to any put-in or take-out points required during the clinic
• lounge, showers, washrooms, sauna, campsites
Trip Rendezvous Point: Barry's Bay, ON