Dumoine River for Families
This is a 6-day whitewater canoe trip for families in western Quebec. We've added a day to the trip to allow for a relaxed pace and lots of time for instruction and coaching. This 60-km Dumoine trip travels the lower two-thirds of the river - from Lac Benoit to the Ottawa River.
We'll paddle about 30 sets of Class 1 to 3 rapids including, Big Steel, Canoe Eater, the Snake, Thread the Needle, and Red Pine. At the beginning of the trip, the guides will provide basic paddling instruction and an introduction to whitewater skills. As we descend the river there will be ongoing coaching. There are optional portage trails if you choose to skip a particular rapid. When we set up camp at the end of the day, everyone pitches in to prepare exceptional meals. There will also be some time for swimming, fishing, and relaxing by the campfire. On the last day we'll cross the Ottawa River to our take-out point at the Pine Valley Campground near Stonecliffe.
This is an excellent river expedition for families with some previous whitewater experience. A warm up paddling session at one of our springtime clinics is highly recommended! If you and your family are closer to the novice stage of paddling, check out our family trips on the beautiful French River, or for those seeking an extended time out in the Canadian wilderness, check out our Family Nahanni Classic trip. On all of our family-friendly trips, children aged 14 and under receive 20% off the listed trip price.
"A great chance to get away with my kids without cell phones, i-pads, or Internet." Marc, Quebec, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• excellent meals from Day 1 lunch to Day 6 lunch
• 17’ Prospector expedition canoes
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• transportation of guides, group gear, canoes, etc. to and from trip
• road transport from Pine Valley (the rendezvous) to Lac Benoit (on the river)
• The trip is in a ZEC (zone d'exploitation contrôlée or "controlled harvesting zone"). Any fees are included.
Trip Rendezvous Point: Stonecliffe, ON