Keele River for Women
The Keele is one of the most spectacular, yet unknown rivers in the Northwest Territories. The Keele River system drains a large area of the Mackenzie Mountains between the Nahanni and Mountain Rivers. Our canoe route flows 300 km through beautiful mountain ranges to the Mackenzie River. The river valley is home to caribou, grizzly, Dall’s sheep and wolves. This is a fun stretch of river, with lots of runnable rapids suitable for paddlers of all skill levels. Many swifts, small rapids and chutes are easily run in our custom covered canoes. The river is wide and meanders through beautiful mountain valleys, with breathtaking vistas.
Female paddlers of all skill levels have enjoyed relaxing paddles, splashing down easy rapids, while taking advantage of great photography opportunities, hiking excursions, and wildlife viewing on this expedition. The trip is ideal for female paddlers with some camping experience, and some basic canoeing skills. It would be an excellent choice for your first northern canoe expedition and we are pleased to run this in cooperation with our friends at Wild Women Expeditions. A warm up paddle at one of our springtime clinics is highly recommended, or perhaps a trip on the French River!
We offer a number of other canoe and sea kayak trips for women at all skill levels - check them out here!
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Female Guides - 5:1 ratio
• 10 nights camping, 1 night at Heritage Hotel (double occupancy)
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 11 lunch
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, pfd’s, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents - free standing custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• ‘kitchen’ - tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• transportation of guides, group gear, food etc to Norman Wells
• charter float plane flight from Norman Wells to the Keele - Day 1
• ground transfer between Norman Wells Airport and Black Feather Base / float plane
docks on Day 1, and from the hotel to the airport on Day 12
• charter shuttle between Keele/Mackenzie Confluence & Norman Wells on Day 11
Trip Rendezvous Point: Norman Wells, NWT