The Little Nahanni
If whitewater is what you’re after, the Little Nahanni is sure to please. The Little Nahanni River is in one of Canada’s newest national parks, Nááts’ihch’oh. The river is a little-known tributary of the fabled South Nahanni River. Starting high in the Mackenzie
Mountains, the river boasts excellent class I, II and III whitewater.
The Little Nahanni trip is suitable for paddlers with previous camping and intermediate whitewater paddling experience. This adrenalin-filled tributary will challenge your paddling with rocks, ledges and tight canyons. Scenic beauty and the fact that this part of the river is so very rarely paddled are added bonuses.
If arranged in advance, it is also possible to continue down the South Nahanni to experience an even wider variety of world class whitewater and scenery.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides - 5:1 ratio
• 9 nights camping
• 1 night in Ft. Simpson - Night 10
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 10 lunch
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, pfd’s, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents - free standing custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• ‘kitchen’ - tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter float plane from Fort Simpson to Flat Lake - Day 1
• charter float plane from Rabbitkettle Lake to Fort Simpson - Day 10
• ground transfers between Ft Simpson Airport and Black Feather Base / float plane
docks on Day 1
• ground transfers on Day 10 and 11 in Ft. Simpson
Trip Rendezvous Point: Fort Simpson, NWT