The Nahanni "Classic" is a two-week canoeing trip and the perfect opportunity to paddle the highlights of the Nahanni. We start at Rabbitkettle Lake, where you will get to hike to the rare Tufa Mounds - the largest "warm-spring" tufa formation in the north. Paddling downstream from there, we reach awe-inspiring Virginia Falls, which pours over a cataract twice the height of Niagara Falls. We also paddle through four canyons that are, in places, deeper than the Grand Canyon. The route is suitable for any paddler with basic to intermediate whitewater skills.
The trip starts with 3 days of paddling in current, where we can hone our skills before we challenge the canyons below Virginia Falls. Here we paddle some Class 1 and 2 rapids with expert coaching from the guides. Each night we camp by the river’s edge and share an evening campfire with our companions, while watching the midnight sun play on the canyon walls. There is time for off-river hikes up tributary canyons or to breathtaking lookouts.
The Nahanni "Classic" is a "bucket list" trip, offering spectacular scenery, great paddling, and warm camaraderie in one of Canada’s best wilderness areas. A warm up paddling session at one of our springtime clinics is highly recommended! If this trip is too long or short for you, check our our other Nahanni Trips on offer!
"The spirit of the group, the beauty of the canyons, the fun of the paddling - I had the best time ever." Allison, Switzerland
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
|June 25, 2021 to July 08, 2021||$7,450.00 CAD *until Oct 31st, 2020|
|June 25, 2021 to July 08, 2021||$7,995.00 CAD|
|July 09, 2021 to July 22, 2021||$7,995.00 CAD|
|July 09, 2021 to July 22, 2021||$7,450.00 CAD *until Oct 31st, 2020|
|July 23, 2021 to August 05, 2021||$7,995.00 CAD|
|July 23, 2021 to August 05, 2021||$7,450.00 CAD *until Oct 31st, 2020|
|August 06, 2021 to August 19, 2021||Trip Full|
|August 20, 2021 to September 02, 2021||Trip Full|
|August 20, 2021 to September 03, 2021||$7,595.00 CAD *until Oct 31st, 2020|
|August 20, 2021 to September 03, 2021||$8,140.00 CAD *until Oct 31st, 2020|
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 12 nights camping
• 1 night at Lindberg Landing - Day 13
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 13 lunch
• dinner Day 13 and breakfast Day 14 at the Lindbergs
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter float plane flight from Fort Simpson to Rabbitkettle Lake - Day 1
• shuttle of group and gear from Lindberg Landing back to Fort Simpson - Day 14
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Fort Simpson
• ground transfers between Fort Simpson Airport and Black Feather Base / float plane
docks at the beginning and end of the trip
Trip Rendezvous Point: Fort Simpson, NWT