Nahanni Classic for Families
The Nahanni River is one of the world’s great wilderness destinations. It is the experience of a lifetime to explore this remote, pristine, alpine river valley. You will discover a mountainous wonderland with breathtaking canyons, a magnificent waterfall, diverse wildlife, and exciting paddling on the fast-flowing river. This expedition will become one of your greatest shared family experiences - and the stories will be recounted for years to come.
The two-week Nahanni "Classic for Families" trip starts at Rabbitkettle Lake, where you will get a chance to hike to the unique Tufa Mounds. Paddling on, you will be amazed at Virginia Falls, which is twice the height of Niagara Falls. You will then canoe through the spectacular canyons section to the Mackenzie Lowlands and the confluence with the Liard River. The trip is highlighted by fun Class I and II whitewater, interesting day hikes up tributary canyons, wildlife viewing, and exploring Virginia Falls.
The Nahanni "Classic for Families" trip is suitable for paddlers with some previous canoeing-camping and whitewater experience, but advanced whitewater skills are not required. We recommend that children be a minimum of 10 years of age for this adventure. Children aged 14 and under will receive a 20% discount on the trip fee!
"We hoped for an unforgettable family holiday - and got it! Thanks to the guides and staff for a seamless experience." James, Manitoba, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides - 5:1 ratio
- 12 nights camping
- 1 night at hotel or B&B in Ft Simpson - Day 1
- 1 night at Lindberg Landing - Day 14
- excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 2 lunch to Day 14 lunch
- dinner Day 14 and breakfast Day 15 at Lindberg Landing
- custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
- paddles, pfd’s, throw bags, paddling helmets
- tents - free standing custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
- ‘kitchen’ - tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc
- containers for food and group equipment
- first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
- communications equipment (satellite phone)
- charter float plane flight from Fort Simpson to Rabbitkettle Lake - Day 2
- shuttle of group and gear from Lindberg Landing back to Fort Simpson - Day 15
- transportation of guides, group gear, food etc to Fort Simpson
- ground transfers between Fort Simpson Airport and Black Feather Base / float plane docks on Days 1, 2 and 15
Trip Rendezvous Point: Fort Simpson, NWT