The Nahanni River is one of the world’s great wilderness destinations. It is the experience of a lifetime to explore this remote, pristine, alpine river valley. You will discover a mountainous wonderland with breathtaking canyons, a magnificent waterfall, diverse wildlife, and exciting paddling on the fast-flowing river.
The 10-day Nahanni "Getaway" trip designed to pack the most possible into a shorter-duration trip. The route follows the river from Virginia Falls, through four spectacular canyons to the Mackenzie Lowlands and the confluence with the Liard River. The trip is highlighted by fun Class 1 and 2 whitewater, interesting day hikes up tributary canyons, wildlife viewing, and exploring Virginia Falls.
The Nahanni "Getaway" trip is suitable for paddlers with previous whitewater canoeing experience, but advanced whitewater skills are not required. This 10-day trip is considerably less expensive than some of the longer options.
"Our guides were the best! Every safety talk, camp location, paddling instruction, meal! You should be proud they represent Black Feather." Scott & Michelle, Ontario, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 8 nights camping
• 1 night at Lindberg Landing - Day 9
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 9 lunch
• dinner Day 9 and breakfast Day 10 at the Lindbergs
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter float plane flight from Fort Simpson to the Virginia Falls - Day 1
• shuttle of group and gear from Lindberg Landing back to Fort Simpson - Day 10
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Fort Simpson
• ground transfers between Fort Simpson Airport and Black Feather Base / float plane
docks at the beginning and end of the trip
Trip Rendezvous Point: Fort Simpson, NWT