The three-week Nahanni "Whitewater" trip is the ultimate whitewater canoe expedition for the intermediate to advanced whitewater paddler. The route follows the entire river from the headwaters to the mouth at the confluence with the Liard River. The Nahanni River’s source is the Moose Ponds - high alpine lakes surrounded by the lofty peaks of the Mackenzie Mountains. The creek that drains the Moose Ponds explodes into one of the finest stretches of whitewater anywhere for loaded tripping canoes.
We'll spend our first week paddling the Rock Gardens - a stretch of 90 kilometers where the river drops over 650 metres. There is almost continual whitewater (Class 1 to 3+), with some noteworthy rapids such as Initiation, Eye of the Needle, and Hollywood to challenge the experienced canoeist. The adrenalin of the Rock Gardens is addictive and adds to the excitement of exploring this remote part of the Nahanni. The river calms near the confluence with the Little Nahanni River. We continue downstream and spend two weeks paddling the canyons of Nahanni National Park. This part of the trip is highlighted by fun Class I and 2 whitewater, spectacular canyons, interesting day hikes up tributary canyons, and exploring Virginia Falls.
The Nahanni "Whitewater" trip appeals to the confident paddler who is keen on a technical paddling adventure. Looking for a different expedition style? Check our our other Nahanni Trips on offer!
"It was a great trip. The whitewater was exhilarating. I really enjoyed being away in the north for an extended period of time." Dave, Alberta, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 19 nights camping
• 1 night at Lindberg Landing - Day 20
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 20 lunch
• dinner Day 20 and breakfast Day 21 at the Lindbergs
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter float plane flight from Norman Wells to the Moose Ponds - Day 1
• shuttle of group and gear from Lindberg Landing back to Fort Simpson - Day 21
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Norman Wells
• ground transfers between Airport and Black Feather Base / float plane
docks at the beginning and end of the trip
Trip Rendezvous Point: Norman Wells, NWT