Nipika - Week of Rockies Rivers
The "Week of Rockies Rivers" is an exciting whitewater holiday. We stay at Nipika Mountain Resort, and each day we'll paddle a new section of river through the beautiful Canadian Rockies of southeast British Columbia. We'll launch high in Kootenay National Park and paddle four "reaches" or sections of the Kootenay River. Park Reach offers an excellent introduction, with lots of swifts and easy rapids. Then 40 km downstream we'll enter the more-demanding Canyon Reach. The rapids are more challenging and cut through 50 km of steep-walled canyons. Lastly, we'll run the more-relaxing White River Reach and splash through amazing scenery to Canal Flats in the westernmost ranges of the Rockies.
We'll also explore one tributary of the Kootenay. Our "finale" is a short, fun run on the smaller Cross River near the resort on our last morning. Our base for this adventure is Nipika Mountain Resort - a lovely eco-lodge on the shore of the Kootenay. We'll stay in comfortable log chalets and enjoy excellent meals together.
Any adventurous paddler can enjoy this trip. In our stable and forgiving, inflatable SOAR canoes, anyone can handle the rapids. Experienced canoeists will still appreciate the constant current, numerous rapids, and exceptional scenery.
"Nipika was the perfect base for this trip! I enjoyed coming back to the lodge at the end of an exciting day, for a sauna and home-cooked meal!" Michael, Washington, USA
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 5 nights at Nipika Mountain Resort in a "family-style" log cabin or at the main lodge - mostly double occupancy
• group-prepared meals at Nipika - Day 1 dinner to Day 6 breakfast
• excellent trail lunches and snacks on the river - Day 2 lunch to Day 5 lunch
• wine and beer with dinners
• high-quality, SOAR, 2-person inflatable canoes
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• packs and barrel packs for expedition gear and group meals
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• shuttles between Nipika and the rivers on days 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to and from the expedition
Trip Rendezvous Point: Nipika Lodge, British Columbia