Noire River for Families
The Noire is a beautiful, Quebec whitewater river - flowing from its headwaters below La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve, south to the Ottawa River near Pembroke. Less well-known and travelled than other rivers in the area, the Noire has the longest distance of runnable whitewater, the shortest distance that must be portaged, the best chance of seeing wildlife, and the smallest possibility of encountering other paddlers.
We meet at the take-out point and drive by van over logging roads to the most exciting part of the river - a 75-km downstream run. With lots of Class 1, 2, and some optional Class 3 rapids, it is an opportunity to learn new skills with the help of your Black Feather guides. When we set up camp at the end of the day, everyone pitches in to prepare exceptional meals. There will also be some time for swimming, fishing, and relaxing by the campfire.
The "Noire River for Families" trip is an enjoyable holiday for those with previous canoeing experience. Basic whitewater skills are advisable, but an adventurous novice could do this trip.This is the same route as our 5-day trip, but with an additional day for a relaxed pace and extra instruction. Nevertheless, a warm up paddling session at one of our springtime clinics is highly recommended! The Noire is suitable for families with school-aged children and those aged 14 and under will receive 20% off the listed trip price. For those seeking an extended time out in the Canadian wilderness, check out our Nahanni Classic trip for families!
If you and your family are closer to the novice stage of paddling, check out our family trips on the beautiful French River. We will offer this Noire Family trip as a custom trip only in 2020, but if you are interested in joining a group this summer, check out our Family Dumoine trip, August 9-14, 2020!
"What a great trip! My son and I really enjoyed spending the time together. We look forward to our next adventure." Erik, California, USA
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• excellent meals from Day 1 lunch to Day 6 lunch
• 17’ Prospector expedition canoes
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• transportation of guides, group gear, canoes, etc. to and from trip
• road transport from the Black River Inn (the rendezvous) to Lac Raymond (our put-in point on the Noire River)
Trip Rendezvous Point: Waltham, QC