Noire River Getaway
The Noire is a beautiful, Quebec whitewater river - flowing from its headwaters below La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve, south to the Ottawa River near Pembroke. Less well-known and travelled than other rivers in the area, the Noire has the longest distance of runnable whitewater, the shortest distance that must be portaged, the best chance of seeing wildlife, and the smallest possibility of encountering other paddlers.
We meet at the take-out point and drive by van over logging roads to the most exciting part of the river - a 75-km downstream run. With lots of Class 1, 2, and some optional Class 3 rapids, it is an opportunity to learn new skills with the help of your Black Feather guides. When we set up camp at the end of the day, everyone pitches in to prepare exceptional meals. There will also be some time for swimming, fishing, and relaxing by the campfire.
The Noire River Getaway trip is an enjoyable holiday for those with some previous canoeing experience. Basic whitewater skills are advisable, but an adventurous novice could do this trip. If you're unsure about your skill level or just want to get out there and practice in a safe and supportive setting, a warm up paddling session at one of our springtime clinics is highly recommended! This Noire River trip is a "must" if you've already paddled the Dumoine or Petawawa Rivers.
"We saw nobody else on the river ... Canadian wilderness at its best." Ben, Mexico
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• excellent trail meals throughout the trip from Day 1 lunch to lunch on the final day
• 17’ Prospector expedition canoes
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• transportation of guides, group gear, canoes, etc. to and from trip
• road transport from the Black River Inn (the rendezvous) to Lac Raymond (our put-in point on the Noire River)
Trip Rendezvous Point: Waltham, QC