The Porcupine is Saskatchewan’s most-northerly river, and starts at Selwyn Lake on the border with the Northwest Territories. It is considered the premier river trip in Saskatchewan and is a clear, wild river which rushes for 150 km southward - from its headwaters, to where it joins the Fond du Lac River just before cascading into Black Lake. Large falls and rapids drop through black gorges and over large granite boulders and smooth, gray gneiss. Called “Dead Man’s River” by the Dene people for its rugged lower canyon, the trip is not for the faint of heart. It has incredible scenery and some very picturesque waterfalls.
There are quite a few rapids that you can't run, and numerous ones that you can. It is an excellent river for photography and offers exciting opportunities for shots of canoes crashing through large waves, to fantastic landscapes. This “Land of Little Sticks” will always surprise you - around the next corner you may find a perfect crescent beach, a massive rock slide, or quintessential taiga. It’s as close to a mountain setting as you will find in Saskatchewan! Since few people paddle the river, it is unlikely that you'll see others as you travel. Bald eagles, bears, moose, and (possibly) caribou can be seen.
The trip begins and ends with charter flights from Points North Landing. This trip is run in co-operation with Churchill River Canoe Outfitters.
"The Porcupine trip was perfect for our group. Lots of whitewater, good campsites, and true wilderness." Dave, British Columbia, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• excellent meals from Day 2 lunch to Day 12 breakfast
• 17’ Prospector expedition canoes
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter flight to and from the Porcupine River, from Points North Landing
• transportation of guides, group gear, canoes, etc. to and from trip
Trip Rendezvous Point: Points North, SK