The Snake River is an intermediate whitewater river in the remote alpine region of northeast Yukon. The Snake is known for exciting, but manageable, whitewater and exceptional hiking. Access to the surrounding mountains is often easier than on other northern canoeing expeditions. The scenery is spectacularly diverse - with painted mountains, green valleys, craggy glaciated spires, rocky scree slopes, canyons, and austere grey alps.
The river starts fast and shallow, and features rock gardens, small canyons, and tight corners. At Reptile Creek, there is a great hike to Painted Mountain. The river then widens, and the current eases. This relaxing paddling is interspersed with moments of high excitement when the river offers a challenging rapid or a technical run through a canyon. We emerge from the river channels to our take-out point at the confluence with the Peel River.
The Snake River trip is a good choice for those with solid, basic whitewater skills, previous river canoeing experience, and reasonable fitness levels. It is one of the great mountain rivers, with remarkable side hikes. Any whitewater paddler with experience will find the Snake an outstanding wilderness adventure in a beautiful alpine setting.
"We really enjoyed the remoteness and serenity of the mountains. The whitewater was tricky in places, and we learned tons." Colin, British Columbia, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
July 14, 2018 to July 27, 2018
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 13 nights camping, 1 night in Whitehorse
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 14 lunch
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• ground transfer between Whitehorse and Mayo on Day 1 and Day 14
• charter float plane flight from Mayo to start of the trip at Duo Lakes - Day 1
• charter float plane flight from the take-out on the Peel River to Mayo - Day 14
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Whitehorse
Trip Rendezvous Point: Whitehorse, YK