Upper Magnetawan River
Ontario’s Magnetawan River drains the western side of Algonquin Park into Georgian Bay. The "Mag" is a less-well-known whitewater river for paddlers as the water levels are suitable for canoeists for only part of the year. In early spring, the melting snows flood the river and make the route very challenging. Sometimes in August, however, there is too little water to paddle at all. Ah, but when the water is right, this is a great run.
We start our Black Feather trip at Ahmic Lake. Our three-day route takes us west to Wahwashkesh Lake some 30 km downstream. The river drops over 60 metres in a series of rocky rapids. These range from easy Class 1 rapids to a few "heart-in-your-mouth" Class 3 runs. In between there are swifts, a few narrow lakes, and several short portages. This spring run is a super introduction to your season of paddling and makes for a great warm-up for any one of our northern canoe trips such as the Nahanni, Snake or Coppermine Rivers, to name just a few!
Paddlers for the Upper Magnetawan should be confident intermediate to advanced canoeists looking for some spring excitement. If you're up for an extended adventure down the Magnetawan, you should consider joining us on the Lower Mag, which runs directly after this trip. Sign up for both and receive $50 off each listed trip price!
"Thanks for the trip. I am your biggest fan! I can't wait for the next one." Brian Ontario, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• all meals & snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 3 lunch
• 17’ Prospector expedition canoes
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• transportation of guides, group gear, canoes, etc. to and from trip
• van shuttle from Wahwashkesh Lake back to your car
Trip Rendezvous Point: Ahmic Lake Resort, ON