Floe Edge Wildlife Basecamp
From the community of Pond Inlet, we will travel by snowmobile and “Qamutik” (wooden sled) towards the floe edge - an area known as the "line of life". Guided by highly-qualified Black Feather guides, as well as Inuit guides, ice conditions and weather will determine our exact route and location of our comfortable base camp. The base camp will serve as a hub for the expedition and the various activities that will be undertaken.
Your safety will be the number one priority as we explore, film, and photograph one of nature's most amazing and variable landscapes. No other company in the world has the same experience in organizing and running this type of adventure. The experience and knowledge of the local guides is also unmatched. Combined with top-quality customer service and attention to detail, this is truly one of the classic Arctic adventures.
Full advantage will be taken of the endless days to explore and learn more about this incredible environment. We also have optional ski and kayak tours. These activities will depend on the conditions. During this expedition, we have a chance of seeing polar bears, a variety of species of sea birds, narwhal, seals, and (possibly) the massive bowhead whale.
The floe edge of North Baffin Island is a “must-see” place for wilderness photographers, birders, and wildlife observers. This base camp expedition is perfect for any outdoor enthusiast seeking a one-of-a-kind adventure in a most unique landscape!
Black Feather's Floe Edge trips have been designated a “Canadian Signature Experience” by Destination Canada. In addition to these dates, we will also offer a photography-oriented trip, or a multi-activity version in 2021
"The interaction with the local Inuit guides was a real highlight. They were funny, pretty communicative, and professional." Marilyn, Ontario, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides Black Feather guides at 5:1 ratio and Inuit guides at 5:1 ratio
• 6 nights of camping, 2 nights hotel in Pond Inlet
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 2 lunch to Day 8 lunch
• dinner (Days 1 and 8) and breakfast (Days 2 and 9) in Pond Inlet
• base camp: kitchen/group tents, bathroom, generators, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• sleeping tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• sleeping bags and sleeping pads
• kayaking and ski equipment
• first aid, safety, kayak rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• snow machine transfers between Pond Inlet and the expedition location on Days 2 and 8
• daily tours by snow machine on Days 3 to 7 (with optional ski and kayak tours)
• airport transfers in Pond Inlet
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Pond Inlet
Trip Rendezvous Point: Pond Inlet, NU