Auyuittuq National Park in Canada’s eastern Arctic has some of the most beautiful alpine scenery on earth. This backpacking expedition explores the Akshayuk Pass - from Overlord Peak to Windy Lake.
We meet in Pangnirtung - a remote Inuit hamlet on the shore of Pangnirtung Fiord. Our local outfitter will arrange for local Inuit to take us by motor boat to Overlord Peak at the end of the Fiord. At this point, we'll help each other put on our packs for the first steps north on our 30-km journey. We will ascend the Weasel River Valley towards the top of the pass. Depending on the group’s interests and abilities, we may stay at several campsites for a couple of days, and explore each area in a series of day hikes (while carrying very light packs).
As we penetrate the mountains, we'll pass Crater Lake before reaching the Arctic Circle. Across the valley we'll see Schwartzenbach Falls. Shortly thereafter, we'll reach our turnaround point at Windy Lake. The valley beyond takes us to Thor Peak, which rises 1500 metres from the valley floor. Here, we often take a long day-hike with light packs to view Thor Peak before turning back toward the sea.
No previous backpacking experience is required for the "Auyuittuq Getaway", although you should be reasonably fit. We will be carrying full packs, and, in places, the route is challenging. You will return home with memories of some of the most breathtaking scenery in Canada.
"Auyuittuq is amazing – what a remote and wonderfully beautiful part of Canada." Paul, Virginia, USA
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 7 nights of camping • 2 nights in Pangnirtung (days 1, 9)
• all meals and snacks from Day 2 breakfast to Day 9 dinner
• dinner in Pangnirtung on Day 9
• sleeping tents: free-standing expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• kitchen / group tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• first aid, safety, rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• motorboat transfer between Pangnirtung and Overlord Peak on Days 2 and 9
• airport transfers in Pangnirtung on Days 1 and 10
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to and from the expedition
Trip Rendezvous Point: Pangnirtung, NU