Auyuittuq Traverse Hike
Auyuittuq National Park in Canada’s eastern Arctic has some of the most beautiful alpine scenery on earth. This backpacking expedition crosses the entire Akshayuk Pass, including the rarely-seen northern section in the Owl River valley.
We meet in Qikiqtarjuaq - a remote Inuit hamlet on an small island off the north coast of Baffin Island. Local Inuit will take us by motor boat to the end of the North Pangnirtung Fiord. At this point, we'll help each other put on our packs for the first steps south on our 97-km journey. We begin with the ascent of the Owl River Valley to the top of the pass - 500 metres above the sea.
As we penetrate the mountains we'll pass melting glaciers extending from the enormous Penny Ice Cap. Between Glacier and Summit Lakes, the magical cylindrical tower of Mount Asgard draws us to the top of the pass. Then we begin the long descent of the Weasel River Valley. Mount Thor, 1500 metres above us, is said to have the longest, uninterrupted cliff face in the world. We'll pass Windy Lake before crossing the Arctic Circle. Next, it is on past Crater Lake towards our final destination at Overlord - a majestic peak overlooking the trailhead on the shore of Cumberland Sound. Joavee Alivakyuk will meet us here and take us by boat to his home village of Pangnirtung.
The "Auyuittuq Traverse" is a suitable expedition for any reasonably-fit and adventurous hiker with previous experience on a multi-night hiking trip. We will be carrying full packs, and, in places, the route is challenging - but, the efforts of this adventure are profusely rewarded. It will be the trip of a lifetime.
"The physical demands of the trip made me feel that I connected to the harsh and stunningly beautiful land. I felt like I had accomplished something important when the hike was finished." Charlene, Ontario, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
August 03, 2018 to August 17, 2018
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 12 nights of camping
• dinner and breakfast in Qikiqtarjuaq
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 2 lunch to Day 14 lunch
• dinner with a local Inuit family sampling "country" foods - in Pangnirtung on Day 14
• sleeping tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• kitchen / group tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• first aid, safety, rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• motor-boat transfer between Qikiqtarjuaq and North Pangnirtung Fiord on Day 2
• motor-boat transfer between Overlord Peak and Pangnirtung on Day 14
• airport transfers in Qikiqtarjuaq and Pangnirtung on Days 1 and 15
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to and from the expedition
Trip Rendezvous Point: Qikiqtarjuaq, NU