Axel Heiberg Trek
Axel Heiberg is a large, uninhabited island in the Canadian high Arctic. Extremely remote and visited by only a handful of scientists and adventurers, this is one of the most-unique destinations on earth. The island is mountainous, and a third is covered by glaciers - which provide constantly-spectacular scenery. The wildlife is surprisingly plentiful given the harsh climate and terrain. We may see herds of muskoxen, Peary caribou, arctic wolves, Arctic foxes, Arctic hare, and even polar bears.
The island is becoming a hotspot in the world for the discovery of fossils. In 1985, a Canadian Geographical Survey party discovered rows of mummified tree trunks exposed by wind erosion on the slopes of the Geodetic Hills Fossil Forest. Here we'll tour the remains of these 45-million-year-old giant Dawn Redwood trees.
The plan for the expedition is to make our way from the Strand Fiord basin to the Expedition Fiord basin using a series of base camps. We’ll explore the area near each base camp through a number of day hikes.
This expedition is suitable for those some previous experience in wilderness backpacking and camping, who are also looking for one of the most-unusual travel experiences on earth. On this trip, there will be times when you will be the first human being to walk on the ground beneath your feet.
For those who wish to visit the High Arctic and want a slightly less strenuous experience, check out our Ellesmere Basecamp program, or if you're after even more hiking, check out our Ellesmere Ad Astra Trek, one of our most difficult hikes.
"My expectations were surpassed in every way. It is so unique - so much so that I think it should become a World Heritage Site." Jeff, Montana, USA
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 12 nights of camping, 3 nights in Resolute
• excellent trail meals and snacks during the expedition, plus hotel meals in Resolute
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river crossing, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter flight from Resolute Bay to Axel Heiberg Island and return
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Resolute Bay
Trip Rendezvous Point: Resolute, NU