East Greenland Hiking - Qingertivaq to Tasiilaq
The Ammassalik area of East Greenland is a world-class trekking destination. Steep mountains rise out of the sea and stretch back from the open ocean to the vast Greenland icecap. Moderate mountain passes provide access to alpine areas. The combination of mountain and ocean vistas provide for unmatched scenery.
We will follow trails used for generations by ancient Inuit hunters. The trails cross narrow valleys, fjords, and high granite peaks that seem to rise straight from the sea. The tour takes place in the mountains just east of the Sermilik Fjord - a place accessible only by foot. We will be able to discover fragile flora and the bird life of the Arctic. We will be amazed at the huge numbers of icebergs in the Sermilik Fjord (also known as the "ice fjord").
Our hike takes us past beautiful lakes and along the coast, with small bays where the mountains are reflected in the still water of the Arctic summer. We continue on to visit the village of Tiniteqilaaq and then make our way on foot to the regional capital of Tasiilaq. There will be one re-supply of food along the way, allowing for slightly lighter backpacks part way through, to help us through the more difficult part of the route.
This route is suitable for those with previous multi-day hiking experience. The area is remote, and there will be uneven terrain, creek crossings and significant elevation gain and loss. The isolation, varied terrain, and 12 days of wilderness camping make the trip unsuitable for the complete novice. Those who wish to experience the area at a more relaxed pace should consider our hike from Qingertivaq to Tiniteqilaq which covers only the first half of the route, followed by a boat shuttle directly to Tasiilaq.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 12 nights of camping
• 1 night in Kulusuk
• 1 night in Tasilaaq
• all trail meals and snacks from Day 2 lunch to Day 14 lunch, hotel meals (dinners Day 1 and 14, breakfasts Day 2 and 15)
• tents: free-standing expedition tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• first aid, safety, rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• flights between Reykjavik and Kulusuk - Day 1 and Day 15
• boat shuttles on Days 2, 7, and 15 (to Airport)
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Kulusuk
Trip Rendezvous Point: Reykjavik, Iceland