Nahanni Canoeing and Hiking
The Nahanni "Canoeing and Hiking" trip is an exceptional opportunity to see much more of the Nahanni than most visitors experience. This unique trip combines 2 weeks of canoeing on both the upper and lower sections of the river, with an extra week to explore the river’s hinterland and the surrounding mountains on foot.
This expedition starts at Island Lakes - further upstream than most trips. Here we find easy paddling with a gentle, steady current. Two highlights of this section are a 4-day back-packing trip into beautiful Glacier Lake and the spectacular Cirque of the Unclimbables, and a stop at Rabbitkettle lake with a hike to the Tufa Mounds. The next stop is Virginia Falls where we'll spend two days exploring the area. The nature of the river changes here as we enter the canyons of the Nahanni. This part of the trip is highlighted by fun Class 1 and 2 whitewater, awe-inspiring canyons, and interesting day hikes up tributary canyons.
The Nahanni "Canoeing and Hiking" trip is a good choice for those with basic whitewater skills, reasonable fitness, and time to explore some of the special out-of-the-way highlights of the Nahanni National Park.
"I loved the combination of canoeing and hiking. The Cirque is such a contrast to the Nahanni valley that it felt like two trips! What a bonus!" Eric, Vermont, USA
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
July 31, 2018 to August 20, 2018
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 19 nights camping
• 1 night at Lindberg Landing - Day 20
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 dinner to Day 20 lunch
• dinner Day 20 and breakfast Day 21 at the Lindbergs
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter float plane flight from Fort Simpson to Island Lakes - Day 1
• shuttle of group and gear from Lindberg Landing back to Fort Simpson - Day 21
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Fort Simpson
• ground transfers between Fort Simpson Airport and Black Feather Base / float plane
docks at the beginning and end of the trip
Trip Rendezvous Point: Fort Simpson, NWT