*NEW* East Greenland Hiking - Qingertivaq to Tiniteqilaaq
The Ammassalik area of East Greenland is a world-class trekking destination. Steep mountains rise out of the sea and stretch back from the open ocean to the vast Greenland icecap. Moderate mountain passes provide access to alpine areas. The combination of mountain and ocean vistas provide for unmatched scenery.
We will follow trails used for generations by ancient Inuit hunters. The trails cross narrow valleys, fjords, and high granite peaks that seem to rise straight from the sea. The tour takes place in the mountains just east of the Sermilik Fjord - a place accessible only by foot. We will be able to discover fragile flora and the bird life of the Arctic. We will be amazed at the huge numbers of icebergs in the Sermilik Fjord (also known as the "ice fjord").
Our hike takes us past beautiful lakes and along the coast, with small bays where the mountains are reflected in the still water of the Arctic summer. We continue on to visit the village of Tiniteqilaaq, where we will take a boat shuttle to the town of Tasiilaq. This expedition is suitable for those with some previous hiking and wilderness camping experience.
Those interested in a more challenging hike in this region should consider our hike from Qingertivaq to Tasiilaq. It is the same route as this trip, but instead of a boat shuttle from "Tinit" all the way to Tasiilaq, you are shuttled a short way across a fjord to then continue your journey on foot to Tasiilaq.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 7 nights of camping
• 1 night in Kulusuk
• 1 night in Tasilaaq
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 2 lunch to Day 9 lunch , hotel meals (dinners Day 1 and 9, breakfasts Day 2 and 10)
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• first aid, safety, rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• flights between Reykjavik and Kulusuk - Day 1 and Day 10
• boat shuttles on Days 2, 9, and 10 (to Airport)
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Kulusuk
Trip Rendezvous Point: Reykjavik, Iceland