*NEW* Katannilik Hiking
*NEW TRIP IN 2022*
Located within Katannilik Territorial Park in Nunavut, the Itijjagiaq Trail starts at Frobisher Bay and crosses the rolling hills of the Meta Incognita peninsula. The trails is not marked but there is a suggested route to follow. Itijjagiaq means “over the land”. This traditional trail has been used by the Inuit of Kimmirut and Iqaluit for generations. Today, this trail is followed by skiers, snowmobilers, dog teams, and hikers, as well as the Inuit who travel between Kimmirut and Iqaluit and continue to use the Soper River valley as their traditional hunting area. There is a variety of terrain, from rounded granite hills, lakes and ponds, creek crossings and finally the descent down the spectacular Soper River valley.
Choose between three options: opt for a shorter hike from Frobisher Bay to Mount Joy over 8 days, fly back to Iqaluit; do the full traverse on foot, beginning in Frobisher Bay and ending in the community of Kimmirut, an expedition which lasts 15 days; the third option is to hike from Frobisher Bay to Mount Joy, then hop into SOAR canoes on the Soper River paddling trip so you can explore both sides of the Soper River valley over the next week. If you're interested in a longer hike or paddle on Baffin Island, check out our other offerings in the area here.
More information will be available beginning in Summer 2021!
Katannilik Hike - Frobisher Bay to Mount Joy
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 6 nights camping • 1 night in Iqaluit
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 dinner to Day 7 lunch
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter flights from Kimmirut to Iqaluit
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to/from the trip rendezvous point
Katannilik Hike - Frobisher Bay to Kimmirut In addition to the above, the following is also included: • 7 more nights camping, meals & guided hiking Katannilik Hike & Paddle - Hike Frobisher Bay to Mount Joy, Paddle to Kimmirut In addition to the above, the following is also included: Canoe Equipment
• high-quality, SOAR, 2-person inflatable canoes
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• shuttle from Soper Lake to Kimmirut
Trip Rendezvous Point: Iqaluit, NU