Baja Epic - Loreto to la Paz
This is an epic 12-day sea kayaking expedition in the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California). The trip is timed to take advantage of the warm weather and seas of the early fall or late spring - when there is little boat traffic on the coast and the winds are favourable.
The expedition explores some of Baja's finest coastal scenery between La Paz and Loreto in Baja California Sur. It is one of the most remote coastal areas in Baja, with no maintained road access, and only a few small villages where fishing families still live - untouched by the trappings of the modern world. We are overlooked by the spectacular mountains of the Sierra de la Giganta range, which provides a marvellous backdrop to this rugged coastline and secret coves that can be reached only by boat. The early-morning and late-afternoon sun create an artist's palette of colours and shadows that add to the area's mysticism and enchantment. It is an area so beautiful that you will want to return again and again ... be forewarned!
This trip is suitable for the intermediate paddler who is keen to try a southern trip with a bit of adventure!
"I’ve kayaked all round the world and nothing compares in terms of quality for guides, logistics and all round fun. Add to this stunning scenery, magical sunsets, great kayaking, wonderful marine life, amazing food, outstanding cocktails - really this is the best possible recipe for a holiday I know. You will come back feeling like you’ve been away for a month and you will already be planning your return to Baja." Kate, London, UK.
2021 Baja Trip Notice: All trip departures are tentative until confirmed by our office team by phone or email. Once you receive confirmation of your trip's departure, we strongly encourage you to acquire adequate trip cancellation and travel medical insurance that will cover you in the event of a cancellation due to new or ongoing coronavirus-related restrictions. More information is available through this webpage.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
• 9 nights of camping • 2 nights hotel (Loreto day 1, La Paz day 11) with a farewell dinner at a restaurant in La Paz on Sunday evening (Day 11)
Guides 6:1 ratio
Kayak Expedition Supplies
• single or tandem sea kayaks, paddles, PFDs, etc.
• kitchen equipment, sun shelter, dishes, utensils, etc.
• meals, safe fresh drinking water, snacks
• cocktails, wine with dinner
• first aid and repair kits
• emergency, communication, and safety equipment
• dry bags, etc. for group equipment and food
• water bags
• a shared tent, a sleeping pad, and a dry bag may be reserved without charge
• ground transfer from your hotel to Ensenada Blanca (the start the expedition)
• ground transfer from the take-out at Punta Coyote to the hotel
• re-supply of food and water by motorboat during the expedition
Trip Rendezvous Point: Loreto & La Paz, Mexico