Ellesmere Sea Kayaking - Alexandra Fiord
Alexandra Fiord is on the east coast of Ellesmere Island - in Nunavut, Canada. This magnificent area is found high above the Arctic Circle at nearly 80 degrees north latitude, and only 30 kilometers from the west coast of Greenland. Tidewater glaciers calve icebergs into a magnificent fiord system, ringed by the highest mountains in eastern North America. Extreme isolation and harsh weather conditions for much of the year have restricted explorers to this part of the world. Thus, this fiord system still holds many secrets of past civilizations.
Each summer, for a brief period beneath the midnight sun, the temperature moderates. The snow melts from the rugged mountain peaks, and the sea ice breaks up. This provides a brief opportunity to explore this amazing place by kayak. The islands and fiords are rich with wildlife. Some of the best-preserved artifacts and ruins from Thule, Dorset, and Viking cultures dot the shorelines. Alexandra Fiord is also home to muskoxen, walruses, narwhal, Arctic foxes, and polar bears.
This expedition is perfect for seasoned Arctic adventurers. Participants should be adventurous, and looking for one of the most unique travel experiences on earth. If you are looking to develop your existing sea kayak skills in preparaiton for a trip like this, you should consider one (or two!) of our Georgian Bay sea kayaking trips. If you are looking to get into sea kayaking for the first time, our Georgian Bay Getaway in particular is an excellent place to start!
Details of this trip are subject to change and will be announced on our Twitter page!
"Thank you so much for running the Alexandra Fiord trip. What a fantastic experience. I've been to the north many times, and the stunning scenery and amazing interpretation of the archaeology made it my favourite." John, Ontario, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 12 nights of camping, 3 nights in Resolute
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 2 lunch to Day 14 lunch, Breakfasts, and dinners in Resolute
• sea kayaks with rudders, paddles, spray decks, etc.
• PFDs (you may bring your own)
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• dry bags and containers for food and group equipment; expedition sea kayaking equipment
• first aid, safety, kayak rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter aircraft flight from Resolute to Ellesmere Island (and return) - Days 2 and 14
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Resolute
Trip Rendezvous Point: Resolute, NU