Georgian Bay Islands
The 30,000 Islands make northeast Georgian Bay a kayaker’s paradise. From a few square meters to several square kilometers, these granite islands form a protective maze for the paddler to explore. Away from the sheltered channels, there are also open bays and crossings to distant islands for the experienced paddler. There is very little soil in this area, and most of the vegetation on the coastline consists of wind-twisted and gnarled trees that are far older than they look. It's a harsh and fragile environment - the least-settled wilderness on the great bay.
Our 7-day trip begins with a short skills clinic and several hours of paddling down a sheltered river to the wilderness of the bay. We'll camp on deserted islands and enjoy great food, spectacular sunsets, and new friends. There will be lazy days, and as our confidence grows, the challenge of open-water crossings and big waves. Finally, passing to the south of the quartz hills of Killarney Provincial Park, we'll reach the journey’s end at the quaint fishing village of Killarney. Adventurous beginners and experienced paddlers will enjoy this trip. If you prefer a shorter trip, check out our 5 day Georgian Bay North Channel or our new 4 day Bayfield to Britt trip, or if you're just starting out as a sea kayaker, our 3 day Georgian Bay Getaway is a great option.
"The setting was, of course, great, but also the people, particularly our guides who did amazing jobs." Bill, Ontario, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• all meals & snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 7 breakfast
• sea kayaks with rudders, waterproof hatches
• spray decks, paddles, PFDs (you may bring your own)
• throw lines, pumps, and other safety accessories
• tents: free-standing expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• dry bags and containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, kayak rescue, and repair kits
• emergency communications equipment
• transportation of guides, group gear, kayaks, etc. to and from trip
• shuttle from the rendezvous to the put-in point, and from Killarney back to your car
Trip Rendezvous Point: Key River, Ontario