Georgian Bay - Magnetawan to French
The 30,000 Islands make northeast Georgian Bay a kayaker’s paradise. From a few square meters to several square kilometers, these granite islands form a protective maze for the paddler to explore. Away from the sheltered channels, there are also open bays and crossings to distant islands for the experienced paddler. There is very little soil in this area, and most of the vegetation on the coastline consists of wind-twisted and gnarled trees that are far older than they look. It's a harsh and fragile environment - the least-settled wilderness on the great bay.
This 5-day trip begins with a warm-up and a short paddle out the lower Magnetawan River (near Britt) to the wilderness of the bay. Weather permitting, we'll paddle to the Bustard Islands, camp on scenic sites, and enjoy great food, spectacular sunsets, and friends. As our confidence grows, we can challenge ourselves with open-water crossings and bigger waves. We finish the trip by heading up the Lower French River to Hartley Bay.
Adventurous beginners and experienced paddlers will enjoy this trip.
"After a couple of days, we had the confidence to enjoy the waves on the outer islands. I was amazed that we didn't see another soul!" Suzanne, Ontario, Canada
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
July 16, 2018 to July 20, 2018
Guides 5:1 ratio
• excellent meals from Day 1 lunch to Day 5 lunch
• sea kayaks with rudders, waterproof hatches
• spray decks, paddles, PFDs (you may bring your own)
• throw lines, pumps, and other safety accessories
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• dry bags and containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, kayak rescue, and repair kits
• emergency communications equipment
• transportation of guides, group gear, kayaks, etc. to and from trip
• shuttle from the rendezvous to the put-in point, and from Hartley Bay back to your car
Trip Rendezvous Point: Britt, Ontario