Newfoundland - Southwest Coast
The rugged shores of Newfoundland's Southwest coast have changed little since the first Europeans arrived over five hundred years ago. Deep fjords with abrupt, barren, walls alternate with the coastal islands to provide a captivating land/seascape. The rugged interior offers splendid hiking opportunities where we may encounter moose and woodland caribou - and the most glorious wilderness campsites in Atlantic Canada. We will encounter few other travellers along this remote coastline. On the last day of the tour we will return to our departure point via the coastal supply boat.
This trip is run in cooperation with our friends at Coastal Adventures. If the timing of this trip isn't quite right for you, check out our other Newfoundland sea kayaking trips in Notre Dame Bay and Trinity Bay! All of our Newfoundland kayak expeditions are suitable for those with previous sea kayaking experience. Novices should consider our Georgian Bay Getaway or our new Georgian Bay Bayfield to Britt trips.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 7 nights of camping
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 8 lunch
• sea kayaks with rudders, waterproof hatches
• spray decks, paddles, PFDs (you may bring your own)
• cold-water clothing: wet suits, paddling jackets, booties, pogies, hoods
• throw lines, pumps, and other safety accessories
• "kitchen": tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• dry bags and containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, kayak rescue, and repair kits
• emergency communications equipment
• shuttle of group and gear between Burgeo and the put-in / take-out point on Day 1 and Day 8
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Burgeo
Trip Rendezvous Point: Burgeo, NL