The Soper River canoe trip is an excellent introduction to the Arctic that almost anyone can enjoy. The Soper may be the only practical paddling river in the eastern Arctic islands. It flows through the hills and mountains of the Meta Incognita Peninsula ("The Unknown Place") to the southern coast of Baffin Island. The Inuit call it "Kuujjuaq", meaning "Big River". Its valley, sheltered from harsh winds, supports a "forest" of willows and a lush profusion of Arctic wildflowers. Caribou, ptarmigan, and Arctic hare make the valley their home, and you can find Arctic char in the river.
Inuit have used the Soper River as a vital source of food and travel for thousands of years. The route is within the protection of Katannilik Territorial Park. The name means "Place of Waterfalls" - which aptly describes the river and surrounding mountainsides. The Soper has also been designated a Canadian Heritage River. Our trip covers 60 km of current, with Class 1 (and occasional Class 2) whitewater. We will paddle the river in SOAR, inflatable rafts, which fit one to two people. These stable craft allow even novices to paddle this river.
This is a fabulous adventure for your first Arctic paddling trip, but those with prior experience will enjoy the route as well. This trip can be combined with our new Katannilik hiking trip - August 7 - 14, 2021 - for those who wish to expand their sub-Arctic horizons. Begin with a boat shuttle into Frobisher Bay, hike for one week to Mount Joy, then hop into your SOAR boats for the rest!
"The office was very responsive to our e-mails and lining everything up for the trip. Spot on!" Andrew, London, UK
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 6 nights camping • 1 night in Iqaluit
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 dinner to Day 7 lunch
• high-quality, SOAR, 2-person inflatable canoes
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter flights from Iqaluit to Mount Joy airstrip/Kimmirut to Iqaluit - Days 1 & 7
• shuttle from Soper Lake to Kimmirut - Day 7
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. at the beginning and end of the trip
Trip Rendezvous Point: Iqaluit, NU