*NEW* Pond Inlet Ski Tour
North Baffin has some of the most beautiful scenery on earth. This ski touring expedition crosses from the community of Pond Inlet to the community of Arctic Bay, a ‘crow’s flying’ distance of 240 km. We begin with a short snowmobile/komatiq transfer to Curry Island to start the trek. From here, we cross the sea ice to the shores of Navy Board Inlet. Once reaching land, you’ll follow valleys and rivers, working westward across this arctic landscape. You may see the signs of the snowmobile travel which can take place between the communities.
Each group member must be physically fit, have previous winter, wilderness-travel experience, and be capable of pulling a small gear/supply sled for two and a half weeks.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Guides 4:1 ratio
• 16 nights of camping, 3 nights hotel
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 3 lunch to Day 19 lunch
• Pond Inlet & Arctic Bay hotel meals: dinner (Days 1, 2 and 19), breakfast (Days 2, 3 and 20)
• "kitchen": group tent or tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• sleds, harnesses, backcountry touring skis, kicker skins, boots, ski poles (you may bring your own)
• first aid, safety, rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• airport transfers in Pond Inlet & Arctic Bay
• shuttle by snowmobile from Pond Inlet to Curry Island (Day 3)
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Pond Inlet
Trip Rendezvous Point: Pond inlet, NU